Faceboss control system highlights:
- Production maximization through optimized cutting, high availability, automated sequences, and setup flexibility
- Advanced diagnostics using an on-board graphical display to show event logs, messages, and alarms
- Multi-lingual options, allowing the operator interface to display in a variety of languages
- Out-by communications that enable real-time machine monitoring from the surface
- Robust hardware design, created specifically for underground applications
- Standard control platform that can be used on all Joy Global underground mining equipment
Competitive and market pressures mean that you have to produce product at an ever-increasing rate, while always striving to decrease your cost per ton. These goals are only made more difficult by the worsening attributes of available reserves and deteriorating operating conditions.
The Faceboss control system enables your operators to operate equipment at an optimal balance of production rate and cost per ton using a powerful tool set that includes operator assistance tools, automated sequences, advanced diagnostics, machine performance monitoring, and analysis tools.
Faceboss is the standard control system platform on all Joy Global underground mining equipment, which ensures that you receive the same level of optimization on all your Joy Global equipment. Faceboss maximizes your underground mining productivity in a variety of ways:
- Optimized cutting: cutting rate is automatically maximized during sump and shear cycles, ensuring optimal cutter loading, through the control of the traction motor speed and hydraulic shear rate
- High-availability feedback: control loops protect all electric motors from jam and thermal overloads to extend motor life and minimize machine downtime
- Automated sequences: consistent operating settings, even when changing operators or across multiple shifts, are available; for example, the one-touch shear function controls the cutter boom position to ensure the floor and roof levels are properly maintained
- Flexibility in operating parameter setups: different operating parameters for the typical cycle cutting requirements (e.g. full pass, half pass, cross cut, etc.) can be pre-defined and quickly selected via the remote station to prevent setup delays
In addition, longwall systems benefits include:
Operator exposure: the control software is designed to minimize the operator’s exposure to dust, water spray, and noise by keeping personnel on the upwind side of the machine
Data exchange: the control system includes integration and data exchange between the shearer and the roof support systems to maximize automation of the entire system
Wide range of standard features
The Faceboss interface also features the following:
- Advanced diagnostics: displays a log of events, messages, and alarms. All key machine operating parameters are continuously monitored and recorded, allowing the root cause of any machine failure to be quickly and easily determined
- User-friendly screens: uses intuitive screen design to simplify initial machine setup, as well as allow operators to adapt to changing mining conditions without the need to open an XP enclosure; in addition, operators can select preset tram functions from the remote to make on-the-fly cutter feedback adjustments or adjust the roof and floor cutting limits used with automation sequences
- Multi-lingual displays: can be easily configured to display in a variety of languages, allowing your operators, regardless of region, to easily use the control system
- Integrated service manuals: allows quick and easy access to critical service manuals; in addition, the interface includes step-by-step instructions for regular maintenance operations and help text for systematic troubleshooting
Remote out-by communications
In addition, the Faceboss control system enables outby communications. When your equipment is connected to a surface computer, Faceboss allows real-time monitoring of the machine from remote locations (Remote Machine Monitoring, or RMM). In addition, the control system continuously streams operating data to the surface computer.
Robust reporting options
Using the Joy surface reporting software (JSRP), the data is interpreted and value-added production reports are generated after each shift and emailed to pre-defined staff. This feedback allows managers to intervene, where required, to make necessary changes. Monthly production and engineering reports are also generated and communicated.