The 4100XPC electric rope shovel, the preferred ultra-class shovel choice for high-production low cost mines around the world, is ideal for loading in-pit crusher-conveyor systems and ultra-class haul trucks. The 4100XPC features the latest design and technological upgrades to maximize machine availability and equipment production. This shovel is available in both AC and DC versions.
Exceptional bail pull
- Rugged Centurion control system for exceptional bail pull in the hoist function during extremely heavy digging conditions
- Smooth, rapid dipper passage through the bank for increased dipper fill without stalling
Robust and stable design
- Wide twin-leg handle for stability through the dig cycle
- Robust electric-driven rack-and-pinion crowd system, with dipper adjustment controls for optimizing digging force during operation
- Geometry optimized for fatigue resistance in shock and high-load conditions
- Maximized cutting forces for improved fill factors and cycle times
Reliability and high machine availability
- Consistently achieves over 90% mechanical availability
- Proven mining duty motors and gearboxes for extended component lives
- Structural design using high-strength, low-alloy steels for improved fatigue lives
- Dual-hoist motors for balanced and evenly distributed loads
- DELTA drive for improved shoe-to-tumbler engagement
- Planetary transmissions with proven long life on swing and propel (over 20 million hours logged)
Highly precise motor control
- Rugged Centurion-based compact-design ABB drives
- Direct torque control with the best dynamic performance in the industry
- AC drives that are compact, air-cooled, and modular
- Maintenance-friendly modules that are easy to replace
- Monitored and controlled neural network of over 500 I/O nodes, using fast, high-capacity Profibus fiber-optic cable network
- Optimized shovel performance for maximum production rates
Operator comfort and efficiency
- Responsive control system for operator confidence through the dig cycle
- Graphical user interface displays shovel systems operation and health information
- Efficient sight lines and refined ergonomics (adjustable heated seat, massage controls, adjustable lumbar support, and two-position footrest) improve operator effectiveness and reduce fatigue
- Ergonomic loading control joysticks, brake and propel transfer functions at operator’s fingertips, and dipper trip and signal horn trigger switches reduce operator fatigue and repetitive strain
- House pressurization system to provide filtered air for cooling and dust repression
We help you select the ideal dipper for your mining application by considering the following:
- Production goals
- Pit geometry
- Operational layout
- Truck-loading parameters
- Drilling and blasting levels
- Material characteristics
- Maintenance objectives
- Previous dipper experience
While your dipper selection will be specific for your application, our dippers feature the following:
- Adjustable pitch braces for precise rake angles
- Wide radius lip
- Dual-action hydraulic snubbers
- Optional next-generation latching components
- Optional raised-heel design for improved maintenance and production characteristics
Proven motor designs
- Ideal for heavy-duty and severe-duty mining applications
- Provide robust speed, lower inertia, and peak HP
Mine Air Systems climate control
The included Mine Air Systems (MAS) climate control system provides air conditioning, heating, air filtration, and pressurization for your electric mining shovel. Featured benefits include:
- Rugged design specifically engineered for surface mining applications
- Modular design for unmatched change-out speed and convenience
- Unique weather-sealed roof-plate eliminates dust and water leaks into the cab and electrical room
- Stainless steel construction
- Designed specifically for ozone friendly R-407C refrigerant
- High-efficiency air filters to suit each application
- Industrial-sized extra-efficient filter/pressurizer with air pre-cleaner
- Smooth and quiet scroll-technology compressor
|Height of cut
||55 ft. 2 in.
|Radius of cut
||78 ft. 8 in.
|Dumping height (door open)*
||31 ft. 0 in.
|Floor level radius
||52 ft. 6 in.
|Tail swing radius
||32 ft. 3 in.
|Operator eye level
||33 ft. 1 in.
*Height shown with bail-type dipper. Heights will be greater with bail-less or compact-bail dippers. Actual dumping height can be greater than door clearance height.
||99.8 to 108.9 mt
|| 120 st
|Nominal dipper capacity
52.8 to 61.2 m3
58.3 to 67.6 m3
69 to 82 yd3
74.4 to 88.4 yd3
|Rated suspended load
|Optimum truck size
||218 to 363 mt
||240 to 400 st
*Payload and dipper capacity are dependent on many factors. Contact Joy Global for an analysis of your specific application.
||47 ft. 1 in.
||49 ft. 4 in.
|Height over gantry
||48 ft. 3 in.
|Width of crawler shoes
|Width of crawlers (76")
||33 ft. 6 in.
|Length of crawlers
||38 ft. 6 in.
||2 ft. 2 in.
|Height: ground to bottom of counterweight slabs
||11 ft. 10 in.
Centurion electrical control system
The Centurion electrical control system provides superior performance, monitoring, and data integration capabilities.
The supervisory controller, with direct integrated communication with the motor drives, allows precise motor control and fast cycle times. Real-time multi-tasking capability means optimal machine logic sequencing, monitoring, and control.
The I/O system uses the Profibus communication protocol for seamless integration of all shovel subsystems. Low-voltage 23V DC I/O drop points feature open- and short-circuit detection for improved diagnostics and troubleshooting.
The graphical user interface features intuitive, icon-based screens that display vital information, including shovel status, troubleshooting information, and optional production monitoring data and operator feedback.
Learn how Centurion maximizes your shovel’s efficiency.
PreVail remote health management system
The PreVail remote health management (RHM) system provides timely and efficient machine health and performance data. The PreVail RHM system taps into the powerful communication, command, and control capabilities of the shovel's electrical control system, transforming the data into valuable knowledge, including KPI (key performance indicator) dashboards, graphical analysis tools, predictive modeling, and reporting tools.
When you activate PreVail RHM on your 4100XPC shovel, you have access to:
- Increased asset performance visibility to help you determine when to intervene, minimizing corrective action costs
- Valuable risk management tools that help reduce troubleshooting time and mean time to recovery
- Key performance indicator (KPI) benchmarking that makes performance gaps more visible and allow you to set in motion corrective measures to maximize productivity
- Operating practices analysis that allows you to review and correct operators that are not following best practices for optimal productivity
The initial subscription period of one year is included free; after one year, subscription fees apply.
Learn how PreVail can help you maximize your shovel’s productivity.
Advanced control technology
Advanced control technologies include the following:
- Temperature monitoring system for all DC motors, drum shaft bearings, and shipper shaft bearings
- Drive programming and analysis software
- Control logic software
- I/O device monitoring and fault detection
- Remote health management
- Extended speed range in hoist and crowd
- Automatic Boom Soft Setdown (ABSS) and Boom Profile Protection Envelope to help prevent excessive loading to the attachment during operation
- Anti-swing-in-bank system to reduce excessive side loading on handle and attachment
- Hoist, crowd, and retract limits
- Automatic lubrication and compressed air systems control
LED lighting package
Complete high efficiency LED lighting available for internal, external, and emergency lighting.
Fleeting sheave hoist rope guide
Includes dual steel sheaves which channel and maintain contact with the hoist ropes as they travel between the hoist drum and boom point sheaves, decreasing rope wear and improving hoist rope life.
Cold weather equipment
Optional extra heaters and insulation protect both your operator and the shovel in temperatures that reach -40°C.
Track Shield collision detection and mitigation system
Developed with extensive shovel operator input, Track Shield is the only automated operator-assist technology on an electric rope shovel that detects and helps prevent a dipper from striking the crawler.
Learn how Track Shield can help prevent dipper strikes.
Universal shovel interface system
The universal shovel interface allows your shovels to send and receive data with any mine management system, including ModularTM, JigsawTM, and WencoTM systems.
On the shovel side
The Centurion electronic control receives information, such as the following, from the mine management system:
- Haul truck information, including capacity, truck model and ID, and material code
- Delay codes
- GPS location of the shovel
On the mine management side
The mine management system receives information, such as the following, from the shovel:
- Shovel faults
- Propel start/stop times
- Payload data, including cycle times and payloads
This information sharing means reduced operation costs, improved production data, and key performance indicator tracking.
Learn how the universal shovel interface can help you maximize your shovel’s productivity.
Payload dipper payload monitoring system
The P&H Payload system provides accurate, reliable payload measurements, coupled with simple system calibration, that allow your operators to optimize their loading processes.
The system provides the shovel operator the weight, in tons, of the material in the dipper. Since there is a target payload based on the haul truck’s size, this information allows the operator to load the truck – every time - to the exact target payload.
Learn how Payload can help make truck loading more efficient.
Adaptive Controls technology
Note that this technology can be ordered as a retrofit upgrade on 4100XPC shovels with an updated Centurion 5 control system.
Adaptive Controls are a series of control functions that optimize shovel power usage in different phases of the dig cycle. Their purpose is to improve shovel performance while lessening the effect of operating impacts on the machine.
- Smart control and application of power
- Improves shovel production without sacrificing life
- Reduces boom jacking
Learn how Adaptive Controls can improve your shovel's power.
Diverter Test Panel
The diverter test panel is designed to allow a tester to remotely test the electrical operation of the diverter circuit on board a DC shovel. Key diverter circuit components are housed in the panel which is located within the machinery house, outside the converter cabinet itself. By allowing the tester to perform all testing from a safe location, away from the potential high voltage hazards that exist inside the converter cabinet, the risk of arc flash or electrocution is minimized.
Learn how the Diverter Test Panel helps protect your tester.